Saturday, March 7, 2009

Identity

I have two quotes taped to my computer at work at an accounting firm. Are you surprised that I work at an accounting firm? Me too. It's so different from my "real" life that sometimes I can lose my footing. These words are my reminders.

"Since there is no government of which the concern or the discipline is primarily the health either of households or of the earth, since it is in the nature of any state to be concerned first of all with its own preservation and only second with the cost, the dependable, clear response to man's moral circumstance is not that of law, but that of conscience.

The highest moral behavior is not obedience to law, but obedience to the informed conscience even in spite of law." Wendell Berry

Escape
by D.H. Lawrence

When we get out of the glass bottles of our own ego,
and when we escape like squirrels from turning in the cages of our personality,
and get into the forest again,
we shall shiver with cold and fright
but things will happen to us
so that we don't know ourselves.

Cool, unlying life will rush in,
and passion will make our bodies taut with power,
we shall stamp our feet with new power
and old things will fall down,
we shall laugh, and institutions will curl up like burnt paper.

2 comments:

Kara Chipoletti Jones of GriefAndCreativity dot com said...

Lisa, do you know that photo is of Deena Metzger, the author of Women Who Slept With Men To Take the War Out of Them? It was on the cover of the Second Edition of her collection "Tree", but I think I first saw it on the cover of like New York Times Magazine back in the day when it caused HUGE controversy. She's got a site up at:

http://www.deenametzger.com/

xoxo
me

One Tree LLC said...

I did know that although long, long ago when I first purchased the poster, I only knew how deeply the image affected me. My favorite line from her poem that accompanies this image is: "On the book of my body, I have permanently inscribed a tree." I saw her in Seattle reading from her book "Entering Ghost River" which is nearly as powerful as this image.

Lots of love to you today, Lisa

Copyright Notification

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. Unless noted otherwise, you are free to copy, distribute, and transmit any of my writings on this blog for noncommercial purposes as long as you credit me, Lisa Logue Mathias, as the artist/author, and either link back to this blog or include this blog's web address with the piece you're using. Please contact me if you'd like to use any of these pieces in a way that differs from the way stated in this license. However, Please Do Not copy, distribute or transmit any of the photos on this blog for personal or commercial uses. Thank you!