Friday, December 12, 2008

Are You Scared Yet?

I grew up with a Dad who knew how to make threats. This may not seem like an admirable talent at first glance but consider the following: when someone looks you dead in the eye, leans down just a little bit to fully focus your attention and says quietly, evenly, "Go back to bed or I will stomp a mud hole in your butt and then I'll stomp it dry" there is absolutely no question of going back to bed or not. You go. Quickly. And quietly.

I unfortunately did not receive this great genetic inheritance for intimidation. When trying to make an unarguable point with my children, I invariably end up shaking my fist in the air, muttering "You'd better do what I say or....or....or.....something bad will happen." I know, not very scary. Perhaps it is because I grew up with such a master that I scoff at the media headlines and government officials trying desperately to convince me of our dire situation. I can't help it - when I read the news, I see myself puffing up, searching for an effective threat in order to manipulate the behavior of two smart, strong-willed children. They know better.

The Application For Government Bailout below just cracks me up. Especially Section 2, Item 3. Hey, maybe they could create a new Office of Homeland Intimidation. My Dad would be first pick for Threat Czar.

No comments:

Copyright Notification

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. Unless noted otherwise, you are free to copy, distribute, and transmit any of my writings on this blog for noncommercial purposes as long as you credit me, Lisa Logue Mathias, as the artist/author, and either link back to this blog or include this blog's web address with the piece you're using. Please contact me if you'd like to use any of these pieces in a way that differs from the way stated in this license. However, Please Do Not copy, distribute or transmit any of the photos on this blog for personal or commercial uses. Thank you!