Wednesday, December 10, 2008

So, after posting my blog today, I surfed over to one of my favorite writers, Sharon Astyk at Casaubon's Book. Hey, I thought all warm and fuzzy, she wrote about the same thing as I did. By the time I got to end of the post, I was still all warm and fuzzy, but also touched and motivated and quite humble. Ms. Astyk's writing is real, and funny, and built on the kind of everyday practical details that let you know she walks her talk. For example, this line perfectly articulates the gift of crashing:
I’ve found what she has - that the practice of living in a world we didn’t expect, of shifting to a different worldview and dealing with crisis as a routine part of my life, has, I think helped me adapt.

Now don’t get me wrong - there’s a lot to be worried about in raising a kid with disabilities in a changing world. But I do think it is worth starting with the assets, the benefits and the gifts. I say this for several reasons. The first is that I think those of us who have special needs kids have already had a kind of boot camp in adapting to shifting realities. Unlike a parent who always knows what is coming next - first they crawled, then they walked, then they ran - we’ve gotten used to not knowing. Making a Future for the Disabled: Facing Hard Times With Special Needs Kids

So, without further ado, I encourage you to click on the link above and enjoy a fine writer and a great thinker.

No comments:

Copyright Notification

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. Unless noted otherwise, you are free to copy, distribute, and transmit any of my writings on this blog for noncommercial purposes as long as you credit me, Lisa Logue Mathias, as the artist/author, and either link back to this blog or include this blog's web address with the piece you're using. Please contact me if you'd like to use any of these pieces in a way that differs from the way stated in this license. However, Please Do Not copy, distribute or transmit any of the photos on this blog for personal or commercial uses. Thank you!