Monday, June 14, 2010

This Time Is Different

One more post in response to the Gulf Oil disaster and then we want to introduce you to our second new calf. This article particularly caught my attention because it was published in the New York Times. Not a left wing bleeding heart blog or a radical environmental magazine but the NEW YORK TIMES for pete's sake. Maybe, maybe, we will finally get it. I hope you have time to read the entire article but if not, Mr. Mykleby's letter makes a very clear point.
“I’d like to join in on the blame game that has come to define our national approach to the ongoing environmental disaster in the Gulf of Mexico. This isn’t BP’s or Transocean’s fault. It’s not the government’s fault. It’s my fault. I’m the one to blame and I’m sorry. It’s my fault because I haven’t digested the world’s in-your-face hints that maybe I ought to think about the future and change the unsustainable way I live my life. If the geopolitical, economic, and technological shifts of the 1990s didn’t do it; if the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11 didn’t do it; if the current economic crisis didn’t do it; perhaps this oil spill will be the catalyst for me, as a citizen, to wean myself off of my petroleum-based lifestyle. ‘Citizen’ is the key word. It’s what we do as individuals that count. For those on the left, government regulation will not solve this problem. Government’s role should be to create an environment of opportunity that taps into the innovation and entrepreneurialism that define us as Americans. For those on the right, if you want less government and taxes, then decide what you’ll give up and what you’ll contribute. Here’s the bottom line: If we want to end our oil addiction, we, as citizens, need to pony up: bike to work, plant a garden, do something. So again, the oil spill is my fault. I’m sorry. I haven’t done my part. Now I have to convince my wife to give up her S.U.V. Mark Mykleby.”

3 comments:

Kara Chipoletti Jones of GriefAndCreativity dot com said...

Thanks for posting this, Lisa. I'm sharing it forward, too. I guess my crisis of faith is that I don't know what "something" to do. Nothing -- well all the somethings -- seem very little just now. Not enough. Honestly, my gut instinct wants me to give up everything and learn to be a breath-atarian and then wait for death to come take me so that I stop being any burden on this system. I don't mean that in a suicidal way really, but really just an end of my rope, absurd response to the absure. Of course while that route certainly would let me out, but is no solution for what my grandchildren will be living with. But I honestly am having such a crisis of faith that the doing of everyday things and changes just isn't even touching this all for me. I'm sitting with the unanswerable today and feeling very ungrounded... if that all makes any sense at all?? :) Love you much! xo me

One Tree LLC said...

Hello Sweet Kara - First, enduring Reiki hugs to you. You are missed and valued and precious to mucho many.

Next, and as briefly as I can which means no jumping on the soapbox :>) , I was recently given some insight into meaningful action. The Archdruid Report on symbolic and practical action settled out much of what has always been an unsettled, irritating, discomforting, personally judgemental mess for me. One thing in particular that I came away with is that meaningful action must actually fit into the big picture of your life. If indeed your action is contradicted by every other action and value in your life, it is simply a fashion statement - fleeting and external.

So, what action is right? I suppose it must be different for everyone. Those lovely "100 things you can do for the earth" can't reach down into where your sweet faith is having a crisis and make a lasting change.

For our family, this crisis happened eight years ago - we rebuilt our everyday things kind of life one agonizing day at a time really. One stunningly beautiful day at a time - because it is really the only reason we are here. To choose.

You are so good with posts citing actual resources - I'll put together some of the books and mentors I've found most helpful in the task of rebuilding a life once all the truths have been proved false.

It isn't baby steps - it's just the continued stepping (or stopping) on purpose that takes you through. We love you, Lisa

Kara Chipoletti Jones of GriefAndCreativity dot com said...

OMG, thank you for that reminder, Lisa -- continued stepping (or stopping) on purpose -- YES!

Mucho appreciate the text and links you sent and will gladly read anything you suggest, of course :)

Eric Francis' writing about this being a Crab time -- move sideways if needed -- very helpful! And the taking of reflection of global water body and looking at ones own water body -- also very helpful!

process... process... process...

Will connect voice to voice soooooooon! xooxxo me

Copyright Notification

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. Unless noted otherwise, you are free to copy, distribute, and transmit any of my writings on this blog for noncommercial purposes as long as you credit me, Lisa Logue Mathias, as the artist/author, and either link back to this blog or include this blog's web address with the piece you're using. Please contact me if you'd like to use any of these pieces in a way that differs from the way stated in this license. However, Please Do Not copy, distribute or transmit any of the photos on this blog for personal or commercial uses. Thank you!