Friday, June 11, 2010

Who Tortured the Pelicans

Who Tortured the Pelicans?
We did.
I did.
When I drove to the store to buy chips and cheese and maple syrup.
Do you know how much fuel is burned to make syrup from sap?
Do you know the entire path from subterranean oil pockets to plastic wrap?
I do. And still I drive to the store.

I could tell you I have no choice.
What a big fat stinking lie.
I have a hundred options.
Some are hard. Others are even harder.
The easy ones are made easy by surrendering to the tide
of a million feet following a path set down as
The right way, the real world.
This path leads to a slimy red beach covered
with slaughtered pelicans.

But I am just one little ol' gal - I'm just a
Drop in the bucket. I cannot
Save the pelicans. Can I?
I can save maybe one pelican. Just like my
Child is one child. Her life would be worth
Choosing a different path. Or so I've prayed.
Please god, spare this one child.

Is one life worth following the hard choice?
Will I never eat maple syrup again?
I don't know, is it worth a pelican's life?

2 comments:

Jane said...

Simple, strong, powerful, sad -- and so what I am wondering right now too, as I triple-wrap nine cakes in plastic and place in the freezer -- cakes to sell at the Co. Fair on behalf of 4H ... I am wondering it right now too as the concrete goes into our new house, and in dozens of decisions throughout my day. We in these times are a bundle of contradictions. The birds die because I am unconscious, don't make the choices, keep doing the same-old, and keep wondering what will make a difference. Thank you again for your poem.

One Tree LLC said...

I agree Jane. I wondered this morning about that turning point of evolution when humans said "Hmmm, let's see what this old brain can really do..."

Like the grandparents and elders that our ancestors are, I wondered if they'd be proud of us? Probably, like all parents, there'd be that bruised heart and sad smile - "Well, it's their life, their world and we gave them the very best tools possible. Let's wait and see what they create before we judge".

I have to believe in our ability to respond - to continue evolving, getting smarter and better suited to life here in this incredible place. After all, now I am the ancestor. Lisa

Copyright Notification

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License. Unless noted otherwise, you are free to copy, distribute, and transmit any of my writings on this blog for noncommercial purposes as long as you credit me, Lisa Logue Mathias, as the artist/author, and either link back to this blog or include this blog's web address with the piece you're using. Please contact me if you'd like to use any of these pieces in a way that differs from the way stated in this license. However, Please Do Not copy, distribute or transmit any of the photos on this blog for personal or commercial uses. Thank you!